Home Forums Bonus Basher WANT AN EXPERT TO CHECK YOUR BETS BEFORE PLACING? ($1000 Club) Reply To: WANT AN EXPERT TO CHECK YOUR BETS BEFORE PLACING? ($1000 Club)

Anonymous

Yes, personally I would just punt them. Either get the win, or hope for money back. It’s not so much the size of the stake that determines if I do that or not, it’s whether or not the counter/lay bet is also possibly going to win me a promo or not.

So in the case of a promo like the NBA first basket scorer, putting a lay bet on the player (essentially betting they won’t score the first basket), well that money is doing absolutely nothing for me. I’m paying commission for what? It’s just extra money I’m losing over time.

But, you’ve got to have enough of a bank roll to take any losses. With backing and laying, you’re reducing the amount you might win, but you’re also reducing the amount you might lose.

I use the same method for horse racing. I just back. Most people on here back and lay. If there’s 5 bookies offering promos on the 10 races at Flemington on Saturday, I’ll have $2500 worth of bets on. If the worst possible thing happened and every horse I bet on came last, I’m down $2500. If the same thing happens to someone who lays, they might be down $500. Losing the $2500 at this point wouldn’t worry me that much as I know over time I’ll come out well ahead, but if I was just starting out and only had a $3K bankroll, well I know I’d prefer to lose $500 of that than $2500.

So in short, I believe you’re better off just punting promos like this, but only if a few consecutive losses isn’t going to wipe out a large % of your bank roll.